As a business owner, you are probably always on the lookout for new ways to get the word out about your company. In 2020, choosing the right marketing channels can be a difficult task, since new streaming services, social media apps, and smart devices seem to pop up all the time. Streaming audio is one promising new arena in digital marketing that can gain your business a strong following with some key advantages.
One of the biggest draws of utilizing streaming services within your digital marketing suite is accessing demographic data from a streaming service’s users. Just like with social media apps, streaming services collect valuable data from their users, which can create more targeted—and therefore effective—advertising campaigns. Moreover, streaming audio is here to stay. By the end of 2020, it is projected that streaming audio channels will have a larger base of listeners than traditional radio. So, you won’t want to miss out on the advertising opportunities that it presents.
The Rising Popularity of Streaming Audio Services
It’s predicted that more than ¾ of US internet users will listen to digital streaming audio formats—such as subscription music services and podcasts—at least once per month in 2020. Podcast listeners only represent about one third of that audience, but it is a growing number. In general, the number of people subscribing to digital music and audio entertainment services is on the rise. Additionally, streaming audio services unlock more advertising opportunities by being available anywhere, anytime. With conventional radio, listeners are often listening only during daily commutes or set hours at home when certain radio programs are on. Alternatively, streaming audio is on demand, so it gains the attention of listeners around the clock. Here are some other key figures to keep in mind:
- Americans streamed over 90 billion songs via digital audio services in 2018.
- 1 in 4 Americans has listened to a podcast.
- There are 186.7 million digital music users in the U.S., and that number is only growing.
- Between 2013 and 2018, the number of songs streamed on digital audio services has increased by 800%.
These statistics indicate that there is a large audience available through streaming audio advertising. However, this is an underutilized marketing tool, because it is so new in comparison to social media advertising and SEO. In addition, many digital marketing agencies are not equipped to effectively advertise on streaming audio services, so you can gain a significant advantage with this medium.
Streaming Audio Marketing Opportunities
Because digital streaming audio represents a unique marketing platform, it requires a different creative approach than radio advertising. While radio commercial spots are designed to stand out and get a listener’s attention, digital audio often requires a more nuanced approach. One of the reasons that digital audio services have become so popular is because users want a more customized, seamless listening experience. Thus, ads need to be personalized to the appropriate demographic, and they should be created to fit smoothly within a listener’s chosen programming.
- Dynamic Ads – Most music streaming services, including Spotify and Pandora, support short ads that play between songs or during programming breaks. Ads are often limited to about 30 seconds, and they should have a clear message for audiences along with a positive listening experience. It’s usually ideal to create ads from scratch for the digital audio experience. Simply repurposing existing radio spots may create a jarring and unfavorable experience for digital listeners.
- Podcast Sponsorship – In the growing digital audio sector of podcasts, there is a unique opportunity to gain brand ambassadors through integrated ads read during podcast programming. Host-read ads offer something extra to your digital marketing appeal—they bring the persuasive power of a beloved podcast host recommending your company. More than half of all podcast revenue is generated through host-read advertisements. In addition, these advertisements tend to get more engaged listeners, because they don’t detract from the tone of the podcast in the way that a separate, announcer-read advertisement would. Another key benefit: Low production costs. All you need to provide is written copy for the host to integrate into their show. You don’t need studio space to record an ad, music and sound effects, or an announcer to record your message.
Tips for Successful Ad Design in Streaming Audio
If you are considering integrating digital audio into your 2020 marketing budget, then you’ll want to know the secrets to successful advertising with streaming audio. Following a few basic principles can ensure that your ads get the results you want.
- Include one single message in your ad. Digital streaming ads should offer a taste of your brand with a special offer or call-to-action that makes listeners want to learn more by visiting your website or social media pages. You only have 30 seconds for listeners to hear your message, so keep it short and focused.
- Think of your ad as a conversation. It’s important to be aware of listener preferences when advertising on digital audio, and most users want to feel more engaged by the content they hear. That extends to advertisements. Therefore, you shouldn’t think of your ad as a gimmick or a sales pitch. Instead, design your ad copy to read conversationally and spark curiosity about your brand.
- Feature music tastefully. Music is often a component of digital audio ads, especially those that broadcast over music streaming services. However, you should not let music and background noise distract from your message. Select music carefully and fade in and out as appropriate to create a smooth listening experience.
With digital marketing services from Salem Surround, you can tap into digital audio advertising along with a dynamic suite of web marketing solutions to surround your audience with your brand message. See how we can help your business grow by visiting our website or calling (844) 277-5797.
Sources for statistics: